The Antun Gojak Town Gallery is located in Makarska, in the building known as Stara škola (The Old School). The building is one of the most important 19th century constructions on the Makarska Littoral. It is under protection as an immovable cultural good of the Republic of Croatia.
Its construction began at the end of the 18th or at the beginning of the 19th century at the place of the bishop’s garden. Fabijan Blašković (1777 – 1819), the last residential bishop of the autonomous Makarska diocese, determined the building to function as a diocesan seminary.
The course of history wasn’t benevolent to the building and its construction progressed slowly due to general weakening of the economic power of the town encouraged by the devastating plague epidemics in 1815, which swept away almost one third of the town population, as well as the famine that followed afterwards. The fate of the building was sealed, at least for some time, in 1828, when the autonomous Makarska diocese ceased to exist.
The building became the property of the seminary of Split and it remained unfinished. In 1877, it was sold on a public auction to Ivo Marija Vuković (1831 – 1910) , a prominent citizen of Makarska, who finished the construction in its present form in 1879.
However, the history showed its cruel side again – the newly finished building burnt to the ground the same year. In 1881, after a complete renovation, the building hosted the schools from Makarska, and was used for this purpose until 1984.
When the schools were moved into new buildings, Stara škola (The Old School) became an important cultural, information, and educational centre of the city of Makarska. Today, the building hosts not only the Town Gallery, but also the Town Library, Music School and Makarska Rivijera radio station.